cancer is NOT a journey

August10

there exists a walking and waking nightmare. its a perilous path that requires us to be ever vigilant, and ready, willing and able to thumb Satan in his blood-shot pale eyes.

spare me the platitudes and existentialist bull-shit. cancer is not a journey.

Thursday was Joanne’s fourth chemotherapy session, and mid-point for the course. that is always followed by a Nuestra shot to increase her white blood cell count. interestingly, that ends-up being the most painful part of the treatment. listening to her description of the pain, it sounds like what The Wolverine must go through when he deploys his talons and/ or regenerates.

that said, she is tough as Wolverine; any super hero, to be certain.

the good news is that the cancer is evidently not in the lymph-nodes. we caught this bitch early and we responded with pace and a sense of purpose. I recruited, petitioned and secured the best surgical and oncology team in the Southeast. the two masses have apparently responded well to chemotherapy. thusly, her prognosis is good. if we remain on-plan, we have the BIG surgery November 6th. hopefully we are in the recovery and healing phase by mid-December.

me? I am restless. resolute. exhausted. encouraged. relieved that my daughters seem to find comfort in me. I miss my wife. she has already told me nothing is going to be the same. I’ve never loved her more. I can’t ever be more angry at something else, ever again. thank God for modern medicine, and my Jeep – oh… and a sense of purpose to stay fit, and, possibly, sane.

go read another and prior post of mine: http://www.unsinkablebriancork.com/2013/03/08/riding-that-big-glassy-fronted-wave-of-life/ do it!

“live your life darling. all of it. question everything. accept nothing.” – Barbara Anne Cork, Wife to one, Mother to all

mere survival is not an option. this must be about “thrival”. I made that up; but will see it through.

UPDATE:

when this episodic travesty finds it’s end, Chuck Papageorgiou is taking me fishing.

also… Denis McDonough, himself, and politics aside, says he wants to sit quietly with me and smoke a very good cigar.

peace be to my Brothers and Sisters

brian patrick cork

“cancer is NOT a journey”

1. Avatar September 18th, 2014 at 12:13 pm Johnny Walker Says:

There are no platitudes that can bring peace. I am pleased to hear that the prognosis is good.

We will continue to pray for her complete healing, and for strength and wisdom as you lead your family through this.

2. Avatar September 20th, 2014 at 10:41 am Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Thank you, Johnny.

We are fighters.

– Cork

3. Avatar October 23rd, 2014 at 11:58 am Patricia Blondheim Says:

I was referred to you by Laurie Craig. Your blog is fabulous and now I am following it. I hope for you and your wife the very best that life has to offer…in every circumstance.

and thumb Satan in his eyes for me too.

4. Avatar October 23rd, 2014 at 1:32 pm Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Thank you, Patricia (and, Laurie).

Welcome, here.

– Cork

5. Avatar October 29th, 2014 at 10:52 am Jane Kelley Says:

Brian, you definitely have the attitude and drive to beat Joanne’s cancer. Lift her when she’s low and keep the faith. And may the Good Lord bless you and cradle you and your family thru this. There really is life (and light) at the end of the tunnel. But the tunnel sure can be dark at times. I’m with you in spirit!

6. Avatar October 29th, 2014 at 2:25 pm Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Thank you, Jane.

And, welcome, here.

– Cork

7. Avatar November 7th, 2014 at 9:21 am Darnisha Harrison Says:

Brian,

Thinking sooooo much of you, Joanne and your daughters these past few days leading up to yesterday. My prayers are with you all, especially Joanne. The human body is such an amazing instrument, I am trust fully praying Joanne’s wholeness in the days to come.

Please know that you and your family are thought of daily. You are not alone, my friend.