why Ayn Rand’s The Fountainhead is a text book for viral Marketing

July8

it occurred to me that great books are a terrific example of viral marketing. I had a younger fellow that used to work around me whom appeared to genuinely believe that every meaningful piece of technology or process was unique, if not invented, by his particular generation, or those that are following.

NOTE: he has no idea that, at fifty (I’ll be one hundred years old in fifty years), I have invented the cure for stupidity. more on that later.

in any event, great books that are examples of viral marketing include the Bible, and The Fountainhead. my own blog (this blog, in fact) is not terrific, or great, by any measure. it’s not even a book. but,  you can assign it as virally relevant by its growth in readership.

all three evidently touch people in a way that cause them to spread the word, so to speak.

I’ll gamble that most of my readers know what the Bible is and does. so, I’ll add some detail, here to your understanding of The Fountainhead (but, maybe, more so, Rand’s epic Atlas Shrugged). ironically, reading The Fountainhead and the Bible just might help you appreciate both in somewhat unexpected ways.

The Fountainhead manuscript, for example, was rejected by twelve publishers before a young editor, Archibald Ogden, at the Bobbs-Merrill Company apparently risked his job to get it published. despite mixed reviews from the contemporary media, the book gained a following by word of mouth and became a bestseller. the novel was made into a Hollywood film in 1949. Rand wrote the screenplay, and Gary Cooper played Roark. many of you reading this post are probably scratching your heads, and collectively asking:

who the hell is Gary Cooper?

my best answer is he also played the title character in the film of the 1939 film Beau Geste (the 1926 version was pretty good, just not the way Cooper pulled it off). for the record, Beau Geste is a 1924 adventure novel by P. C. Wren.

by the way… never underestimate Ray Milland.

you need to read it (The Fountainhead, and Beau Geste – just so we are clear). do it! and, when you do, guess what? you’ll tell your friends about it. then after reading this blog post you just might start thinking a bit more about the Bible – and, Atlas Shrugged. mind you, be prepared for elements of these books that are directly conflicted one with the other. but, opinions only gather power when both sides are ably considered, eh. it’s feasible you will investigate just why I draw comparisons between such disparate books. that means you just might talk about it at a cocktail party, or at Lake Lanier while you are hosing down the boat.

…see… viral marketing, at it’s best and most natural.

if I ever get to act in a movie, I want it to be a remake of Beau Geste.

by the way… anything that has something to do with the French Foreign Legion has awesomeness all over it.

peace be to my Brothers and Sisters.

brian patrick cork

“why Ayn Rand’s The Fountainhead is a text book for viral Marketing”

1. Avatar July 11th, 2011 at 12:40 pm Chris Says:

“I recently wrote about the new Atlas Shrugged movie with some notes related to Ayn Rand’s first novel, The Fountainhead.”

Huh? Her first novel?? …We The Living? …Anthem??

2. Avatar July 11th, 2011 at 7:34 pm Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Do you have a point you need to make? Or, a clear question?

I’m happy to address them.

3. Avatar July 11th, 2011 at 11:02 pm Chris Says:

I thought my point was clear – We the Living was her first novel, followed by Anthem, THEN The Fountainhead. These books laid the groundwork, and set the stage for The Fountainhead, and to gloss over them by calling The Fountainhead her first novel does her a disservice. I would think a self proclaimed Randian would be more accurate with her history.

4. Avatar July 12th, 2011 at 9:47 am Brian Patrick Cork Says:

No. You were not entirely clear. You are assuming I could interpret the way you process and/ or deliver information. I failed that effort. However, I’ll not lose any sleep over it.

But, I suspect you might be a good lad. Worthy of effort, in any case, as should be everyone. So, let’s saddle-up.

You’ve recovered nicely, in my estimation, with this latest exchange. We don’t approve many comments (although a good qualifier is coming after me or talking about Ayn Rand). And, you bring into focus some solid information.

I had to think back on it. And, I evidently did, in fact, refer to myself as a “Randian” in my prior post: Not Reason Alone.

I don’t know if I remain Randian. My thinking (as with my life and it’s wonderful experiences) convulses in a state of evolution. However, I am without reservation an enormous fan of Ayn Rand’s thinking and her marked impact on our society, business, and people in business.

My Grandad put Atlas Shrugged in my hands as did my favorite college professor and early mentor – Dr. Nick Pappas. That connection was not lost on me my sophomore year at Radford University.
    If it matters to you, and others reading this exchange, I can add some meat to this bone if you read: Ayn Rand and Me. Do it!

Excerpt:

“I had decided that no matter what business I was involved with (operator, investor, etc.); I would give my clients the absolute best experience or result. I always offered my hand, and guaranteed the result.
    To this day, most of my clients know that we guarantee our work. Some don’t think in those terms. But, even if they don’t know or care about my guarantee – that’s okay; because I know it.
    I was also deeply influenced by how the “bosses” in the book treated their employees. This made me ask the question:

“Am I responsible for my people”?

Absolutely.

I had the epiphany that each employee, if enabled (and, inspired), is responsible for generating superior product to keep a job at the company. The company does not exist to put food on their plates.
    The objective it to SERVE, and be part of the solution. /2

I believe we have a moral obligation to pursue our own happiness and also help people. Maybe this is what Granddad meant, in part, when he taught me to:

“Follow dreams and stay true to friends”.

When you are happy and fulfilled, other people are drawn to you and inspired. This enables you to help them. I think this means, in part, invest in ways to help other people.

This set the stage for every business and enterprise that I have been involved with.”

Regarding Rand’s efforts prior to The Fountainhead, I’m delighted to tip my hat. I failed to differentiate between The Fountainheads status as an impact novel against other writings that preceded it. Although I care less about those works, I simply must stand corrected in terms of sublime accuracy. But, just so we are clear, Anthem was, in fact, begun in the very mist of The Fountainhead – during a break, in truth, apparently as a respite from the labor of love that is a watershed novel that has forever changed the world. Anthem does not share that distinction.

We The Living was Rand’s first know novel. But, I have my suspicions. And, I don’t write or discuss it for a wide-variety of reasons.

Certainly not in my estimation.

Nonetheless, thank you (and wikipedia), for all of that.

5. Avatar September 20th, 2014 at 10:54 pm Juana Says:

With having so much content do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright violation? My website has a lot of unique content I’ve either authored myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my agreement. Do you know any methods to help reduce content from being stolen? I’d truly appreciate it.

6. Avatar October 9th, 2014 at 10:53 am Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Blogs are part of an open-source community. From my perspective, if anyone wants the content, they can have it. And, God bless them.

I would add a hope that they use the information only for good. Then karma rules.

– Cork

7. Avatar September 22nd, 2014 at 2:54 pm Spencer Lodge Says:

Incredible points. Outstanding arguments. Keep up the good spirit.

8. Avatar September 25th, 2014 at 2:43 pm testinate Review Says:

I’m impressed, I must say. Rarely do I come across a blog that’s both equally educative and engaging, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. The issue is something which not enough folks are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I found this in my search for something concerning this.