the Princesses and the me

January28

I have three Princesses in my immediate family with the girl of my dreams at my side, and two daughters that I’m determined will realize their own.

I coach a good number of princesses in soccer. But, that is different. And, the stuff of other stories. You can always read about those adventures, here.

Haley Anne is preparing for her first big eighth grade dance tomorrow night. This one is clearly different from other less considered events. She has an indoor soccer match that morning with a team that will likely vie for the state championship in the Spring. After the match she has to rush home (and, we’ll be pressed for time) so she can shower and then spend ninety minutes being surrounded by a hand-picked team, alongside her BFF’s (I know they don’t say that any longer) being pampered with the application of makeup, getting their hair coifed (seriously), and having their collective nails manicured.

There are moments when I think that attention to detail might be over the top. You might use the term: “spoiled”. But, it’s also something I can do that allows her to get really excited about things that are actually harmless, but really fun. I understand the planning is half the joy. And, just being thrilled by something is very important in life. My own Mom was a debutante out of old Sacramento. She would have absolutely understood the tradition of the preparation. The prospect of getting roughed-up that morning in a soccer match before the preparations begins has Haley Anne turning her nose up at me. But, she’ll pull it all together. And, I know she’s doing that for me.

It wasn’t so long ago that I was blogging about taking Haley Anne out to buy a pretty dress so we could go to a Father Daughter dance. Or, maybe just have a special evening where I tried to make things magical under simple circumstances like a dinner at a posh restaurant where she could experience what being treated like a lady means.

She’s growing up. And, we both need to be ready. She’ll be leaving me behind all to soon. So, maybe me allowing her to get gussied-up is just a way for me to stay involved.

And, as you know Emma Jo and I have the My Princess Daddy and Daughter Dance that evening as well.

Wednesday night she was playing music on her Mom’s Macbook. I asked her to dance. But, instead she grabbed a soccer ball and insisted on practicing her stops and kicks. She was blissfully unaware that I was holding back some tears and remembering her big sissy was about the same age when she started being a Shocker and thought it was fine when I sang along to the radio while we were in the car.

So, come Saturday night I’ll find myself in two worlds. One foot pivoting my Emma Jo through a Waltz at the Buckhead Intercontinental making damn sure she feels like the very center of the universe. She has a lovely white and black ensemble ready to go. Her silver tipped shoes will match a specially picked handercheif that will be stuffed gallantly in the breast pocket of my coat. The other foot will be tapping to the beat of my heart as Haley Anne, my “formidable defender” takes her own first steps towards a coming of age, but just outside of my protective reach.

I look at them, and I can’t believe what absolutely wonderous creatures Haley Anne and Emma Jo are (and, their own Mother, Joanne). They are so pretty. And, smart. And, perfect. And, silly. And, always four years old in my eyes, stomping in water puddles.

So… Saturday is going to be all about being a Princess at the Cork household.

“the Princesses and the me”

1. Avatar January 28th, 2011 at 9:01 am Randy Says:

I’m right there with you, brother. Great story. Don’t worry about spoiling them, that’s our job. As long as they don’t become “brats” and always appreciate the family and love that is given them.

2. Avatar January 28th, 2011 at 11:16 pm Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Hopefully they reflect our families well, eh Randy.

It’s great to hear from you. And, welcome here.

3. Avatar January 28th, 2011 at 9:16 am Boyd Christian Says:

Great stuff Brian! Treating our girls as the special princesses they are will only make the world a better place and ensure they pick better men when they are older too. Thanks for the reminder.
    Boyd

4. Avatar January 28th, 2011 at 11:18 pm Brian Patrick Cork Says:

You make a great point Boyd.

When Haley Anne was seven. I started taking her on “dates”. At a dinner one evening I told her to simply watch how I treated her Mother. That should be the example we set and establish her own expectations. She’s come to understand what I meant with greater clarity each passing year. She is turning into a young lady and I trust her judgment.

5. Avatar January 28th, 2011 at 10:41 am Durwood Snead Says:

Brian,

Great thoughts, friend. The time will come all too soon for you to march your princesses down the aisle and hand them off to another man. It is wonderful and gut-wrenching at the same time. Both of my daughters got married in the same year, two weeks apart. I shed quite a few tears in those weeks but now it is also wonderful to see them both as loving wives and moms. They are still my princesses but they have born another generation of princesses and now I have more princesses to love.

Blessings and peace my friend. You are navigating this season of life well, loving your girls and treating them with all the honor and love they deserve. They too are very blessed to have you as husband and dad!

6. Avatar January 28th, 2011 at 11:19 pm Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Yours is a great example Durwood.

It’s great to hear from you. I miss my spiritual mentor. But, I work every day to make you proud of me.

7. Avatar January 28th, 2011 at 7:51 pm David Quail Says:

Thanks for the email, what a great read. Wouldn’t it be nice if all the children in the world were treated like Princesses? I’am married to the Queen of hearts her name is Ava, have a 12 year old daughter named Dava, My name is David and at the last minute when she was born we took all those other names and dumped them, we named her Dava she too is a Princess, plays soccer (best on the team) but of course all the other dads would say that also, I let it go….because their daughters are Princesses in their eyes. (for me there is great satisfaction in knowing the truth) Straight A’s come naturally, Beta club, Treats animals with love and kindness, computer wiz, She is a techy Princess, Women in technology …get use to it ! I remember my daughter in a snow storm looking up she could barely stand or walk, snowflakes landing on her hands, she stared at them closed her hand and they were gone, what a look on her face when she opened her hand, I will never forget that. Yes they leave us behind too soon, but the facts are the facts, they move on and they will have Princeses themselves, that is what they will do because fathers have done their job. Wait I see the twinkle of Twilight Zone stars….oh my gosh I THINK THEY ARE OUR REPLACEMENTS !!!! and what fine replacements they will be. Some day we fathers will be gone, but not forgotten. I feel sorry for all the fathers who are not remembered, there would be a reason for that…..
    56 or 57 years old whatever I’am I still believe we can change the world one Princess at a time, a snowflake melting on a little girls hand and a smile from her father. Oh Ava says stupid people should not have children, I agree. Someday ask me to tell you about the treasure box. All fathers of Princess need to have one.
    later DWQ

8. Avatar January 28th, 2011 at 11:22 pm Brian Patrick Cork Says:

That’s a terrific stream-of-conscience David. And, you make many a fine point. Our daughters are incredibly complex creatures and we’re fortunate to have them in our lives. My own have taught me so many lessons that include patience and wonder in simple things. Your stories are founded in snow flakes. My own water puddles.

9. Avatar January 29th, 2011 at 12:37 pm Jeff Says:

You are a real softy Brian!

10. Avatar January 29th, 2011 at 12:51 pm Brian Patrick Cork Says:

And, inspired.

Haley Anne was all business earlier today being awesome at her indoor soccer match and now organizing herself for the big dance. Her little sister Emma Jo is an admiring witness taking it all in and learning from the master.

11. Avatar January 30th, 2011 at 7:28 pm Craig Says:

Brian –

Cherish every moment with your Princesses. My youngest daughter is now a freshman at Auburn University and my oldest daughter is happily married with a 2 1/2 year old son. It seem like yesterday when I was telling them stories at bedtime and carrying them on my shoulder as we walked through the mall. Soccer, cheerleading, father/daughter dances, etc. are all precious memories. Even though both daughters are young adults, I continue to be excited about spending as much time with them as possible. Our Princesses are the treaure that makes life worthwhile! What else is there?

12. Avatar January 30th, 2011 at 10:47 pm Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Hey Craig.

The torches passes, but we maintain our firmest grasp.

13. Avatar January 31st, 2011 at 1:42 pm robbie gring campbell Says:

Inspiring, though-provoking, authentic words. Thank you for sharing of yourself with the world. You make it a better place.
    My best, Robbie

14. Avatar January 31st, 2011 at 1:44 pm Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Thank you Robbie.

Words are easy if not simple when the inspiration is so evident.

15. Avatar January 23rd, 2012 at 5:45 pm The Unsinkable brian cork™ » Blog Archive » the 2012 My Princess Dance Says:

[…] from last year, God gave me daughters. What did He give you?, Its time for a Princess to Dance!, the Princess and the me, and, investing in my […]