waxing philosophical on Life and lessons

March14

Mr Miyagi taught Daniel-san that fighting is for wimps.

However, Miyagi also taught Daniel-san that when bullies bring the fight to you, fight back as publicly and honorably as possible. Sometimes, bullies need to be taught a lesson. When you’re trying to lead, but others shout you down, the time for political correctness or playing it safe is over. In situations of coercion, your power as a leader (business leader, thought leader, etc) is never more necessary.

Read into this what you will. Perhaps what you must. But, I know it’s striking a cord – like a tap on an exposed nerve. Now. Don’t deny it. Don’t you dare! You’re already thinking of an example of a time you should have made a stand.

Me? It’s Colorado.

That damn Kobayashi Maru. And, the mirror; always a mirror, eh.

Have faith in your integrity, I say. Do it!

“waxing philosophical on Life and lessons”

1. Avatar March 15th, 2010 at 12:18 pm George Landolt Says:

I agree. There exists a cheek that should not be turned.

2. Avatar March 15th, 2010 at 10:12 pm Drew Tilghman Says:

3. Avatar March 16th, 2010 at 3:49 am Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Hello Drew.

So… I visited George’s Blog based on this link from you. I admittedly don’t understand how a “gentle bad ass” is relatable to a “Sheep in Wolfs Clothing”. I think if it were turned around a bit, I might recognize the corollary elements.

4. Avatar March 16th, 2010 at 9:23 am George Landolt Says:

My daughter Sarah http://sarahhartsu.blogspot.com/ who is in France teaching English to high school students was asked what badass in English means. I’m not sure what brought up that question yet, but Sarah told me there was no French word for badass. Her use of it seemed more of a compliment than a criticism so I used the phrase gentle badass to reflect Matthew 10:16 as one way to explain. Many Christians I know and mentor are not wimps and would be decribed as badass brothers and sisters. Yet because they exercise a strength through gentleness more often than not, I am known to combine the two terms to reflect the warrior who is also a love kat. He or she can fight as well as any known badass, but doesn’t have to when unecesary. I believe Sarah is going to blog on this next.

5. Avatar March 17th, 2010 at 6:03 am Brian Patrick Cork Says:

I follow that. And, I”ll offer now doubt you are, indeed, a gentle-hearted bad-ass.

What through me was the reference to “Sheep in Wolf’s Clothing” in the body of your post. I am also familiar with that maxim. However, in the context of your post I’m going to venture might have meant a juxtaposition and: “A Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing”.

Or, does a Sheep of some Biblical context of strength that I am unfamiliar with? I have always thought the Sheep Herder was a courageous figure. But, gave little thought to the critters.

6. Avatar March 16th, 2010 at 10:13 am Drew Tilghman Says:

in the immortal words of mr. miyagi, “karate heya (pointing to his head). karate heya (pointing to his heart). karate never heya (pointing to his belt).”

consider the scene where mr. miyagi comes to daniel’s rescue as his pursuers were wearing those skeleton costumes (wolves in wolves clothing). mr. miyagi was wearing his regular, day to day clothing, yet he was prepared. as george has so clearly emulated and expressed in my life, as i have seen you do through your blog and towards your family, we are called to be warriors above being simply war-like. it is not about dismantling a person in front of me (except when necessary), but dismantling the weapons the person in front of me is carrying, so that i can help carry that person.

7. Avatar March 17th, 2010 at 6:10 am Brian Patrick Cork Says:

That I follow.

There is this great scene in Band of Brothers… I think it was the first episode. They’re fighting from house to house in some French town taking heavy casualties… Two of them pause to watch in wonder as an Army Chaplain calmly and with grim determination, while under sniper fire, moves from one fallen soldier to another giving last rites. Never mind the religious context… That was inspiring.