there might be demons and there are ALWAYS questions

January10

By the time your finished with this post, you’ll have realized it’s less a book review, and more a reminder that I often feel lonely in a crowd of my Christian brothers.

Demons was written by Fyodor Dostoevsky. As an aside, he is much better known, in North America, anyway, for his frustrating and authentic The Brothers Karamazov, and the much lesser known The Idiot.

And, surely, you must read them all! And, on your Amazon Kindle, no less.

In any event, Demons is, essentially, and this is my interpretation, about how liberalism leads to socialism, then leads to nihilism, and how life, according to Dostoevsky, boils down to a choice between Christianity – and… suicide.

Well… Mister, that’s a barn-burning, possibly teeth-gnashingly dogmatic, position (if this makes you think in some terms of anything related to doggy-style, it might be appropriate, and you might have the emotional maturity of a twelve year old [like me, some times], but not in the immediate context).

Demons is a very engaging novel. And, more suspenseful than the others, as relayed above, of Dostoevsky – both because it’s more violent (being about socialist nihilist anarchists and all), and because it takes a long time to get a sense for what motivates the main character, Nikolai Stavrogin (and, that’s where I might draw a comparison to myself and my titanic and transparent struggles with Christianity as it related to the Jesus Christ element).

However, Dostoevsky clarifies his thinking, interestingly, through his mouthpiece Tikhon, in that absolute doubt immediately proceeds absolute faith; thus Stavrogin, as the quintessential doubter, is also the closest among the main cast of characters to true Christianity.

To wit…

This idea, that a person must not give in to his ideas; must strain against them to be a person, is a fascinating one…

But, see… There’s no word for it, this, effort. And, that my be the core of my own struggle. I can’t put my finger on what’s missing. Or, maybe why it’s missing.

Unfortunately, there’s probably a really good word for it.

It eludes me.

Not much does. And, this is a big one.

However, I think caring is important; as is the search for that word – possibly it’s meaning, all the more.

Stick with me. And, feel free to come and get me.

Along the way, I’ll likely read everything, and talk to everyone, I can to find that word. And, the light and truth I learn gives me scienter, and the necessity of my own requirement to be naught less than a beacon, for all. My Kobayashi Maru, perhaps not?

Listening to: Heartbreak Warfare and Free Fallin’ (the Live version) by the much too underestimated, John Mayer.

By the way… Look at the “possibly related posts” (below, minds you) automatically generated by the WordPress gods (demons?). What a hoot! Is irony afoot?

“there might be demons and there are ALWAYS questions”

1. Avatar January 10th, 2010 at 10:39 am George Landolt Says:

This is one of my favorites that you have written even though I say that privately most every blog. The “effort” that you mentioned and the word that appears to be missing is one in the same, yet is two words. Holy Spirit. The beautiful thing is He is self-revealing if we want to know before we see.

2. Avatar January 10th, 2010 at 11:50 am Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Hey George.

I’ll counter with maybe.

But, let’s allow for hopefully.

What about seeking?

3. Avatar January 10th, 2010 at 10:42 pm George Landolt Says:

Seeking is an effect, not a cause. It’s a response to being drawn.

4. Avatar January 11th, 2010 at 8:07 am Brian Patrick Cork Says:

God created the universe. That means physics get involved. So, at some point there is always pushing and pulling.

Cause and effect are then subjective.

5. Avatar January 11th, 2010 at 10:43 am George Landolt Says:

Subjective in the sense of being personal in a relationship rather than an opinion. Personality is more basic than physics in the universe.

6. Avatar January 11th, 2010 at 10:04 pm Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Is it Isiah 17 that says to the effect: “if you don’t believe, then you cannot understand”?

7. Avatar January 12th, 2010 at 1:34 am George Landolt Says:

Might you be speaking of Isaiah 43:10? One of the great questions is Isaiah 53:1. However I suggest we go to Jeremiah 33:3 to come back around to true seeking.

Isaiah 17 is a call to awaken the fear of divine wrath, to awaken serious belief in this threatening, and a call toward repentance for forgetting God.

8. Avatar January 12th, 2010 at 6:50 am Brian Patrick Cork Says:

I had a vision, of sorts. And I know it was Isaiah. But, some how I thought it was 17.

More research to do.

9. Avatar January 12th, 2010 at 8:34 am George Landolt Says:

The interesting thing about Isaiah 17 in your vision is that the Lord speaks here through Isaiah as he does through you to His people. Your gift in business is to wake people up to their agendas which are a business form of idolatry(spiritual adultery) to their calling. Isaiah is speaking to wake people up to repentance to a serious belief and understanding (memory) of Him from their spiritual adultery in the form of idolatry. A Father knows how to speak to a son that is a visionary so His voice can be heard. :) Remain obedient to this heavenly vision as Isaiah and Paul did (Acts 26:19)
    as a prudent son.

Isaiah 30 would be interesting here.

10. Avatar January 12th, 2010 at 8:43 am Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Bloody brilliant that, George.

But, I say this, mostly, on the grounds established by my dear friend, John Stein, when he sent me the following link naught three weeks ago:

11. Avatar January 12th, 2010 at 9:51 am John Stein Says:

Both of you gentlemen are hitting on an interesting point with regard to your thoughts and especially, idolatry. I think that George has said it well in terms of the anointing on Brian for influencing the business community. And, I think that he points it out all to well that idolatry is a big deal in today’s mammon-influenced society. It is not possible to serve God while serving mammon, right?

But, when evaluating through the lens of Daniel 4, we see that a different form of idolatry becomes even more of an issue. And, that is the worship of one’s self. Nebuchadnezzar was so deceived. It is rare today to find one who sits on his respective throne capable of walking in his anointing and still giving honor to the One who made it all happen or even possible.

Nebuchadnezzar had to spend a little time playing farm animal to find this truth out. Tough one…

God isn’t about to share His glory.

And, with what is about to go down over the next three years, it is time to get in alignment with Heaven’s purposes or watch as our personal kingdoms become obsolete.

Therefore, I would offer that the “word” that is so elusive is called “destiny”. It is there that your anointing, gifting, call and purpose collide with the One who made you according to His good will. Fullness or completeness is good. Without Jesus, it is not possible to be either. So, our destiny brings us on a journey for Him while accomplishing those things that drive us to Him.

Perhaps, it was Nebuchadnezzar’s destiny to be a prophetic statement for the kings to come so that they could actually walk in the fullness of their own destinies and avoid his plight.

Time will tell.

12. Avatar January 12th, 2010 at 9:55 am Drew Tilghman Says:

daniel 4.8

based on the blog mr. stein presented to you a while ago, this portion supports this present blogalogue. the distinguishing, and essential, difference between daniel and all others was the presence of God’s Spirit. much to people’s dismay, doubt can be a tool of the Spirit, preceding faith, as a way for us to stop and listen to His voice. as George does, and so eloquently pointed out in you, it is essential that we pause (are paused) and listen to this voice… and then point others to this genuine place of listening which breeds “effort”. you play the part of daniel in your work, and so it can go in the rest of your life.

13. Avatar January 12th, 2010 at 5:38 pm Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Just we are all clear… I don’t know that I’m comfortable around any words that might assign me as idolizing myself over God. Although I understand some people might lean that way given my name is on the company marquee, and there is a measure of success. However, my name is always in small caps, and this is meant to indicate that it’s not about me – it’s ALL about what we do. And, how we do it.

As far as I’m concerned, God can have the glory. It’s His for the taking. He’s bigger than me anyway. And, he gave me (and all of you) discernment. I just use it to the best of my ability.

“Destiny” is a great word, John. But, I don’t feel that yet. Some times burden resonates. But, then so does fortuna, as it relates to virtu.

So… I’m still left to sort out what I’m supposed to glean (discern?) from Isiaiah – if anything.

14. Avatar January 12th, 2010 at 5:42 pm Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Where does “doubt” have it’s vital role, here?

My sense is we’re, the growing lot of us, in a vital quest for an action word.

I have no doubt I am always in the presence of something mightier than myself. Not ever. I for one am seeking that clarion call. Or, that call-to-action, if you will.

15. Avatar January 12th, 2010 at 6:01 pm Brian Patrick Cork Says:

So…

The inestimable Aaron Masih has set forth his views on his own Blog: A Life of Passion. The post is called: The Struggle Worth Having, and you can read it here: http://www.aaronmasih.com/

Do it!

Just to wet your appetite – following was my own comment:

I think I’m honored.

God issued me discernment. And, with it a keen desire to live my life in a way that glorifies everything that I can recognize around me. I used to refer to this as living my life like Christ. But, as time went by I felt like that was similar to wearing a medal I had not earned. There is, not so simply, a bar, some how set.

So, living by that code, while remaining uncertain about, how and where, I might end-up sometimes feels like standing on the ledge preparing to tower jump.

But, some how I think I’m going to make it – because it wasn’t me that created wind that can be used to offset gravity.

16. Avatar January 13th, 2010 at 7:21 am many things Are not Pointless « The Unsinkable brian cork Says:

[...] been nip-and-tuck on this Blog going on two days now over my last post: there might be demons and there are ALWAYS [...]

17. Avatar January 14th, 2010 at 9:35 am nicholas johnson Says:

Although I’m quite sure I can’t put my finger on the word you seek, your review of Demons has driven me to add it to my Amazon wishlist. An idiom that ran through my head when reading it was “It is always darkest before the dawn”. As an occasional hunter, I can say, without a doubt, that mere moments before the sun peeks out there is a very quiet breeze that moves through the woods. The change can take your breath away if you’re not ready for it. The air gets colder and darker than it was just before, and in an instant, it is gone and replaced by the light and warmth of the sun. I wonder if Stavrogin is in that brief period of the dark cold just before illumination. I guess I’ll find out soon.

18. Avatar January 16th, 2010 at 9:36 am my daughters name is not Charity « The Unsinkable brian cork Says:

[...] of course, John Stein (for that to make any sense, you’ll need to revisit my recent post: there might be demons and there are ALWAYS questions – and focus your research in the comments, mind you. Warning: This effort will, decidedly, [...]