that would be Degevolution

December3

Rusty, who, as it turns out is my new Mormon Brother (I’m not a Mormon, but Rusty is nonetheless, my Brother), and I have concluded that texting, for example, is one of those innovations that fall under a new term “degevolution”.

I’ll pause, here, and grimly advise you that Rusty is the author of the aptly named: Mormon Conversations. I’ll warn you in advance, though, in reading this Blog, you will find yourself amidst unsettling information that includes the debunking of certain myths that include: “Magical Underwear”. You may well, also, find you like this fellow with a big family, and a heart and life story, to match. He’s a pretty fair writer. Certainly better than me (but, that’s easy). And, perhaps more notably, there is transparency, rather like Drew Tilghman, and some useful observations in-and-around a life well-lived.

In any event, but, also in truth, we were using the word devolution. However, I looked it up, and it’s already being used for an entirely separate purpose. So, for the moment, and, certainly relevant to this post, it’s utterly useless to me, and my self-important desire to create a new word that is meaningful and useful (and, a potential blunt-edged weapon worthy of making one of my inarticulate points).

Let’s see if we can work degevolution into our working lexicon. I’ll need your collective help and support with that.

By the way… I use so many comma’s that I have this sudden concern I might read like James T. Kirk. Obviously, you’ll need to be a fan of Star Trek to truly appreciate this (I am, but, call me not a Trekkie).

Meanwhile, Rusty and I found ourselves discussing his life ambitions this afternoon. Our dialogue, however, has it’s genesis with me commenting on his Blog – which in turn had him visiting my Blog, and stumbling upon one of my posts: Texting and Driving To Death.

We (collectively the father of eight children), decided that texting is one of those technologies (or, is it a derivative of technology?) that is degevolutionary because it facilitates educational and social awkwardness while also adding a barrier, to, what some of us, might deem as good or meaningful communication. …and, well, if you do it while driving, you might kill our children.

I suspect Rusty is reading this post, and possibly scratching his head. We, in truth, only had bits and pieces of this discussion. I’m taking enormous liberty, here, and expounding on a tangental thought. So, hopefully, Rusty is also grinning, and content with the spirit of this posting effort.

Thanks Rusty (but, let’s hope we are much more famous; at least highly regarded, for other contributions).

“that would be Degevolution”

1. Avatar December 4th, 2009 at 1:22 am Drew Tilghman Says:

thanks for the kind word, friend. i hope you and yours had a great thanksgiving.

2. Avatar December 4th, 2009 at 1:27 am Brian Patrick Cork Says:

We did, indeed Drew.

And, friends like you, beacons all, are fuel for the celebration.

3. Avatar December 4th, 2009 at 3:28 am Rusty Lindquist Says:

Smiling indeed. And Nodding. Degevolution seems extraordinarily suitable. Sort of a mashup of degeneration and evolution, with the former steering the meaning and the latter providing the most letters.

And I think you’re right, it’s a derivative of technology. The technology is the ability to share data wirelessly, which can be enormously good (when NOT used while driving… I like my family alive, thank you). But somewhere somebody decided that conversations must have been too meaningful and fulfilling when done with complete sentences. Perhaps they thought there was too much context, and not enough room for misinterpretation. Hence texting was born.

The immediacy is great, so much faster then say, email, which takes maybe 5 seconds to get to my iPhone inbox, instead of the so-much-faster 3 seconds a text takes to hit my iPhone “Messages”.

Is email really so slow that we have to degevolve… hmm, er, devolve into chunky, halting conversations with oddly concatenated words and emoticons? Amongst my many concerns is that I already see a profound lack of ability to articulate, punctuate, and communicate in business today. Now we’re “collectively” choosing to expedite that degevolution by encouraging platforms like Twitter (which I still don’t get).

Perhaps I’m old fashioned, but I think we’re on to something here. Making a stand against the degevolution of conversation. May complete sentences live long and prosper.

Peace brother.

4. Avatar December 4th, 2009 at 5:27 am Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Well said.

In my own family, my thirteen year old is required to use proper grammar in all communications (my own writing-style obviously requires an exemption). That’s fast becoming a lost art.

So… Here we have the making of a stand, of sorts. Not only are we determined to keep our children alive when faced by the prospects of driving texters, but we’ll plant our flag on the educational front as well. This is reasonable. And, to quote the captain of one of my youth soccer teams: “We must use our power (in this case influence pointed towards the appropriate use of texting and related technology) for good”.

5. Avatar December 4th, 2009 at 6:09 am Mary Guthrie Says:

I read your post about “degevolution” this morning. Recently, my brother-in-law used the term “devolve” in an email that described talking with his mother (my mother-in-law). (“Usually our talks start off with lots of worthwhile inquiries and exchanges but eventually devolve into descriptions of her lunch, the weather, some friend I’ve never met, etc. and then it can become tedious.”) I had never used the word and searched its definition right away.

I just love it!

Degevolution is even better.

6. Avatar December 4th, 2009 at 6:16 am Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Thank you Mary.

Let’s raise our collective hands and be the arbiters of necessary change.