perhaps Jesus should be a bit more Noble

September6

I’ll begin this post by making it clear, front-and-center, that I don’t expect anything from God.

He’s already given me a fighting chance with that special gift of discernment. And, since many of you follow this Blog more often than not, you know my thoughts and gratitude for that.

And, considering just how big I suspect God is, I don’t see any point in offering up naught but unconditional love – anyway.

“P.S. Jesus is his own Dad.”

What happens if we find out God prefers that we stop focusing on the rules imposed by a particular religion, and work towards having a direct relationship with Him? Perhaps it’s Jesus (or, his promoters, are a more likely choice) that should be a bit more noble (his sacrifice /1, notwithstanding). And, by the way… As I have discussed on this Blog before (Christian Ambiguity Part II and Faith + Evidence = integrity, for example), I try, daily, to do good in this world with the idea an uncertain result might be it’s own reward. I hope that reflects and represents courage, in some form.

_______________________

1/ A reminder that, as a Heterodox, I don’t see the point in arguing against Jesus walking the earth. We can see daily that he makes a difference, still. But, I don’t know if he rose from the dead. If I did know, it would make life simpler, wouldn’t it? But, it would also require less courage on my part.

“perhaps Jesus should be a bit more Noble”

1. Avatar September 6th, 2009 at 9:19 pm Drew Tilghman Says:

so, you do have expectations, as you intimated at the end of this post (to do good with an idea that an uncertain result might ensue). its ok to have expectations of God, just like we have had of our parents and our children will have of us. God can handle your expectations.

again, as i have posed in a prior post, what is the greatest gift that God has given you? what is the greatest that God can give?

2. Avatar September 7th, 2009 at 12:26 am Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Well… There is room for my ability to represent and reflect what Christ might have wanted or wants for us. And, God clearly set the stage for that.

So, I look forward to each day, with great eagerness to accomplish that.

In terms of a basic answer to a “gift” I received on our wedding day… Perhaps it was, and remains a sense of centeredness founded in the belief and conviction I had made a great choice, and a keen desire to make sure she always feels the same. Along the way, I can honestly say I remain as excited and thrilled by Joanne as the first moment I laid eyes on her going into our nineteenth year. So, I have a gift that keeps on giving. And, I realize that is not luck. That is hard work. But, I see her happiness reflected in my efforts.

Another gift.

My daughters are learning what to expect from a good man if a healthy marriage.

Another gift.

My definition of a gift?

A pleasure to anticipate, and a joy to open.

Can a person represent or be a gift?

I believe so.

3. Avatar September 7th, 2009 at 6:08 pm SonyaSunny Says:

Hello,
    Super post, Need to mark it on Digg
    SonyaSunny

4. Avatar September 8th, 2009 at 11:52 am Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Hello SonyaSunny.

Thank you.

How does one go about doing that? And what about this particular post makes it so worthy?

5. Avatar September 8th, 2009 at 4:14 am Drew Tilghman Says:

so would you say that your wife was the greatest gift you received on your wedding day? and your daughters on their birthdays?

6. Avatar September 8th, 2009 at 11:48 am Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Drew:

What are you looking for here?

7. Avatar September 8th, 2009 at 7:25 pm Bill Powis Says:

boomer,

what point exactly are you trying to make? you like dialogue. Not sure what it is that you wish to dialogue about.

regards,

Bill Powis

8. Avatar September 8th, 2009 at 8:26 pm Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Pastor Bill:

One point I try to make is that if you want to draw someone into the light, recrimination or the practice of making it conditional likely works against the effort. It’s pushing the boulder up-hill. Jesus apparently loves us, but only if we submit – even without understanding. This does not fit under the process of “seeking”. It might, worse, encourage hyprocisy. And, might explain why so many Christians say one thing, but differently.

I feel in my heart that God is so big, he does not require anything but using the heart he gives us with the discernment he gifted us. The Jesus element is a religious piece of a puzzle.

I want to remove religion, and focus on God.