dear mr. President, let's make progress the point

September3

I’ve decided to carefully reconsider the way I go after Barack Obama in this Blog.

He is my Commander-in-Chief. He needs support. And tearing at him in a public forum that gets so much attention is starting to feel unfair. I have started to see him as helpless. That comes damn near frightening for me.

So, at least for the moment, here are some thoughts, that I hope might help, on how I see Obama’s style and participatory role in this country as a leader. The catalyst for this was a simple comment on an earlier post from my friend Drew Tilghman.

[In this case, certainly,] we need Obama to invest in the Constitution and a genuine plan. I observe him and recognize a mistake I see many first time managers, CEO’s, leaders (etc) make – they are unfamiliar with outlining a plan, rallying the appropriate resources around it, and execution.

continental congressThis brings into light one of the original intents of the Continental Congress (ultimately evolving into the United States Congress) – which was to outline a plan for the development and growth of the colonies towards becoming a country. Individual leaders served in various capacities at the pleasure of the Congress (General Washington, for example). This is what modern CEO’s do; report to the Board of Directors and execute a plan outlined (in theory) by a body of experienced citizens founded in common goals for the benefit of shareholders (under this example, U.S. Citizens are the shareholders Obama is supposed to serve).

Obama has virtually no experience doing anything. And, he seems more intent on making a point as opposed to making progress. I am now more concerned than ever that he will find himself more and more at odds with the House and Senate (even his own party) as he fails to identify battles he can win that are any good for the country.

Mr. President, you promised us “change”. But the first thing that needs to change is you and your methods.

There be truth and light in these words. And, I am hopeful Obama’s staff, and others around him consider their simplicity and directness as naught less than a call to action.

This prudent and optimistic gentleman is watching.

“dear mr. President, let's make progress the point”

1. Avatar September 4th, 2009 at 3:22 am Drew Tilghman Says:

thanks for reminding me to go back to my roots as an american. the constitution is an excellent plan that is clear and concise. it is an excellent origin.

i also appreciate your care in talking about the president. it is one thing to disagree with someone, but to engage in ad hominem is unproductive.

with that being said, a certain phrase comes to mind. “it is not what goes in a man that makes him unclean, but what comes out.” are we more than our actions and our words? of course, but we are revealed through them. as a leader, there must be something greater than ourselves for us to feed on and from, to give us the strength we need to be all that we have the capacity to be… fully, free.

2. Avatar September 5th, 2009 at 12:44 pm Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Then, there is always the adage: “garbage in, garbage out”.

However, that might be too easy and, certainly trite.

I am prepared to disagree with your phrase in a broader sense. Or, I perhaps I must needs simply append it with the idea that when faced with any accountability or responsibility we may absorb a lot of garbage, vices, misinformation, etc – but, it’s how we process it through the gift of discernment (as you recall, I think, for the moment, that is God’s greatest gift to us all), and then what we do in response in the form of calls-to-action. In other words, we see a problem; we take the appropriate action, outside of our own agenda and desires, and become part of the solution (as opposed to being part of the problem.

What say you, Brother.

3. Avatar September 6th, 2009 at 2:22 pm Drew Tilghman Says:

my only comment is to the notion of discernment and the value you place on it. i have two questions to discernment as being the greatest gift that God gives us is this… what was the greatest gift you received on your wedding day? what was the greatest gift you received the respective days your daughters were born?

4. Avatar September 6th, 2009 at 7:22 pm Brian Patrick Cork Says:

I would submit that mankind has been imbued by God with discernment. And, with a broad genetic-coding, some of us use it more effectively than others.

I don’t know if God actually has “a plan” for all or any of us. But, once he gave us tools, like our brains (i.e. size) and, again, discernment, he just might have decided to step back and se what happens. Rather like a petri dish; an experiment.

Part of that experiment, with an incalculable number of variables, requires chance, or luck. Some call it providence.

But, as luck would have it, I found Joanne, and our uniquely combined DNA resulted in Haley Anne and Emma Jo.

5. Avatar September 6th, 2009 at 9:12 pm Drew Tilghman Says:

all of your “discernment” seems to be keeping you from answering the simple questions at hand. the simple questions that call for simple answers may be the most challenging because, well, they’re simple.
    it is very common to venerate, and subsequently, idolize the aspects of a gift that we so emulate. it can be so with our family, especially our wife and children (these are those with which we have so much expectations placed on).
    in these labels that we adopt and place on ourselves, we lose portions of who we truly are. no longer, then, are we allowed to exhibit these parts (i.e. i am a heterodox, therefore i must believe this way or be this way). there are descriptions of us that are full (i.e. children, fathers, humans, etc.). if we place an inordinate amount of emphasis on the incomplete labels, we demand so much from that label and part of our life and we miss so much from the rest of our life. it is like loving our wife for one glaringly apparent reason. we love her so much for it that we marry her. one day, she stops doing that thing that you married her for. you must either demand that she continue the thing you married her for or you lose faith that she was the woman you once thought she was and despair.
    this is true of ourselves. we need to be careful. if we see only parts of us and truly venerate only those things, we lose the bigger picture and appreciation of who we are.

hence, i ask you simple questions about what gift you received on your wedding day and what gift you received the days your daughters were born.

i appreciate the dialogue.

6. Avatar September 7th, 2009 at 12:23 am Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Being a Heterodox keeps me on my toes because it almost always means I have to keep pushing, and seeking.

So, I can’t agree with your point (emulation, venerate, idolize – they don’t fit or work in the context of the very point of heterodoxy, or Jeffersonian, for that matter – or, just me).

And, I don’t put any demands on Joanne. I do have expectations around her being the best she can be at anything she approaches – mostly around joining me in being an example to Haley Anne and Emma Jo. To me, that is keeping it simple.

In terms of a basic answer to a “gift” I received on our wedding day… Perhaps it was, and remains a sense of centeredness founded in the belief and conviction I had made a great choice, and a keen desire to make sure she always feels the same. Along the way, I can honestly say I remain as excited and thrilled by Joanne as the first moment I laid eyes on her going into our nineteenth year. So, I have a gift that keeps on giving. And, I realize that is not luck. That is hard work. But, I see her happiness reflected in my efforts.

Another gift.

My daughters are learning what to expect from a good man if a healthy marriage.

Another gift.