what is changing My mind: Part I

May27

I will just haul off right away and admit this post is going to be rather confusing at first.

Nevertheless, here we go. Just roll with me.

What is changing my mind?

Several things. But, certainly, God (himself?) remains the catalyst. And, it, the dynamic, continues to be an evolutionary process.

Changed my mind about what?

Religion and it’s relation to faith. Possibly the course of evangelism – just stuff like that.

Over the past several months you have been reading my views on representingreflecting and the open-mind.

I will lay-out several points through the next weeks and remain open to further discussion and experience.

Change, or the process of change, has not necessarily occurred in the order you see these posts. It took many years for me to realize I, and many others, were wrong.

In any event, here are a few reasons I changed my mind.

Part I: Reading as part of research

read widely outside of evangelical Christianity with an open mind. Ironically, I discovered that many Christians don’t have open-minds (we can discuss judgmental later). My own experience of religion-oriented fundamentalists is they are not truly open to new evidence or considering things differently.

To be certain, establishing a foundation of Jeffersonian and/ or Heterodoxal thinking was a critical first step.  So, just reading isn’t good enough – without an open mind, everything confirms only your own beliefs. I decided truth was more important than my current beliefs.

I was warned this was dangerous. It was indeed.

So, God has inspired me to question the fabric of religion and strive for an ever growing sense of faith – and, then my role in the world as an influencer.

More to follow. Oh, yes, there is.

By the way… Just because this is me, you should reasonably expect that I will be distracted by other things and events. So, this particular train of thought will be be disrupted by flashes of (poorly articulated) brilliance that include political diatribes, pictures of my dog, reviews of pointless technology, and the odd recipe.

“what is changing My mind: Part I”

1. Avatar May 27th, 2009 at 6:01 am C. Wiles Says:

I found your post at random. I salute anyone willing to love God seriously with all their mind.

The problem is that most Christians have thrown their minds away, for a variety of reasons, and so I wish you the best at reclaiming it.

God bless.

Chris Wiles

2. Avatar May 27th, 2009 at 11:57 am Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Thanks for popping in Mr. wiles – if only randomly.

I have to admit, I don’t know what you mean. So, please feel free to elaborate.

However, for the moment, it feels as though you are positing that (some) Christians have forgone free will, or perhaps, discernment (which in my view might well be one of God’s greatest gifts to us).

But, to be clear, I don’t believe Christians are out of their minds (although those Crusaders from a few centuries back might give us all pause).

3. Avatar May 28th, 2009 at 2:58 am BB Webb Says:

Two thoughts (and well, recipes) come to my mind from your post Brian….one is the origin of ‘Humble Pie’

As James Huston explains in Humble Pie, the original dish dates back to 16th Century England and was called “umbles pie” — a meat pie made from deer umbles (the heart, liver, and miscellaneous innards). These less desirable meats would be taken home by the huntsman who killed a deer for a nobleman, while the nobleman would get the venison. The umbles would be baked into a pie to create a modest dish suitable for a poor man. To eat umble pie meant that you acknowledged your place in the social pecking order. A few centuries changed “umble” into “humble” and also brought about a significant change in meaning. Today, “to eat humble pie” refers to a change in one’s circumstance, usually involving an admission of error and-or the making of an apology.

HUMBLE PIE
    (Venison) or Round steak — 2 pounds, cut into bite-sized pieces
    Onion — one large onion, peeled and chopped
    Carrots — two carrots, peeled and sliced
    Parsnip — one parsnip, peeled and sliced
    Bell Pepper — one red or yellow pepper, minced
    Beef stock — 1 cup
    Tomato juice — 1 cups
    Minced garlic — 3 teaspoons
    Cornstarch — 3 tablespoons
    Spices — paprika (2 tsps), black pepper (1 tsp), salt (1 tsp), bay leaf (1)
    Pie pastry — one package prepared pie pastry
    Egg — one, beaten (to glaze pie crust) Yum!!!

And the other….well, a revelation really….Transparent pie…a lovely picture found here… http://madeinmississippi.blogspot.com/2009/01/revelation-pie-of-month-club.html (I don’t know how to copy the actual illustration of the pie here). Not necessarily a healthy FOOD choice but, well, humbleness and transparency ARE good for the soul. So, thanks for sharing! Bon appetite!

TRANSPARENT PIE (no fooling…found right here in Atlanta’s outskirts): http://www.recipelink.com/cookbooks/2005/1893062740_2.html
    2 eggs
    1 c. sugar
    1/2 c. cream
    1/4 c. butter
    1 tbsp. flour
    1 tsp. vanilla
    Mix and bake in uncooked crust, 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce to 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

4. Avatar May 28th, 2009 at 11:45 am Brian Patrick Cork Says:

BB Webb gets a “Larry” award.

5. Avatar May 29th, 2009 at 3:57 am John C Says:

The one sure way for us to know and experience God first hand is for us to simply love others-deeply, and for no particular reason at all.

You only get to keep what you give away.

6. Avatar May 29th, 2009 at 11:36 am Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Well said my Christian Amigo.

You gotta be a “Love Kat”.