never ever never

March25

After reading Nick Milne’s recent book reporting post Lady Audley’s Secret, and then Brian Visaggio’s thought provoking dissertation Daybreak, First Impressions where he compares the final episode of Battlestar Gallactica with various iterations of Star Trek, I felt like my own effort today might seem, well, potentially unproductive.

…Won’t be the first time.

So, forging ahead…

You have no doubt heard someone use the phrase:

If I never see that person again, it will be too soon.

However, perhaps they meant to say:

If I ever see that person again, it will be too soon.

Using the word never might imply that it might be too early to never see the person that might be the object of ire. That doesn’t work.

This is one of those phrases that might have you stop and pause to consider how you say the thing yourself – and, how you think you have heard it said by others.

It’s potentially maddening.

posted under brian cork, Fun Stories, Life

“never ever never”

1. Avatar March 25th, 2009 at 1:16 pm Drew Tilghman Says:

like when people use the word “irregardless” or they use the expression “i could care less”. these are things that are said, but if otherwise examined, they would state them in a more accurate way.

2. Avatar March 25th, 2009 at 1:29 pm Brian Patrick Cork Says:

“irregardless” is certainly vexing. Indeed, spell check challenges it’s very structure!

“I could care less” is a very good example. More often than not we hear people say “I could not care less” , or, “I couldn’t care less”. They are, no doubt, meant to convey the same thing. However, the actual combination of words, like puzzle pieces, result in something other than what the user might have intended.

Communication is such an art.

3. Avatar March 28th, 2009 at 11:14 pm RaiulBaztepo Says:

Hello!
    Very Interesting post! Thank you for such interesting resource!
    PS: Sorry for my bad english, I’v just started to learn this language 😉
    See you!
    Your, Raiul Baztepo

4. Avatar March 28th, 2009 at 11:52 pm Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Hello Raiul.

Happy to help.

5. Avatar April 7th, 2009 at 11:34 pm PiterKokoniz Says:

Hello !!! 😉
    My name is Piter Kokoniz. Just want to tell, that your posts are really interesting
    And want to ask you: what was the reasson for you to start this blog?
    Sorry for my bad english:)
    Tnx!
    Your Piter

6. Avatar April 8th, 2009 at 12:43 pm Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Hello Piter.

The Blog gives me a voice. sometimes it just makes me feel better. Cathartic if you will. Maybe in some limited way, it can help someone else.

Here I do discuss events, people and things in our world – and, my (hardly simplistic, albeit inarticulate) views around them. You will discover that I am fascinated by all things religious, love music, dabble in politics, loathe the media, value education (I barely made it), still think I am an athlete, and might offer a recipe.

In any event, thank you for that affirmation.

CORK