really looking at donald Trump

February18

Trump in BankruptcySo… With an eye straining towards lessons learned – how is it a fellow like Donald Trump, that ALWAYS has his businesses and companies in one stage of bankruptcy or another, is lauded as an American success story and icon (and, some how worthy of television shows about success)?

I realize that was a run-on sentence.  But, the prospect of watching how people relate to Mr. Trump leaves me breathless under every circumstance.

If you consider the picture of Trump above, one has to imagine he is telling someone off, or worse yet, offering advice (finances or marriage).

“Other than the fact that it has my name on it – which I’m not thrilled about – I have nothing to do with the company.”  – Donald Trump

I understand Trump is a (financially) wealthy man.  But, at what COST to countless others?

“really looking at donald Trump”

1. Avatar February 18th, 2009 at 2:03 pm shaferfinancial Says:

How do you reconcile this post with your one from a couple of days ago; Judgement Daze? Just wonderin…..

2. Avatar February 18th, 2009 at 2:14 pm Brian Patrick Cork Says:

I don’t.

I do, how ever, make my own mistakes – and talk about those openly on this Blog as well.

I understand, as do you, that Mr. Trump is, by many standards, a successful man. However, he reflects and represents many of the low standards (amazing how nimble and flexible is our beautiful English) forgiven by or media-dazed society.

So, this is me offering a perspective – not judgment. Mr. Trump’s success might be based on a significant COST to others. So, by shedding light and looking more closely, we have an opportunity to consider our own roles, options and values.

Brian

3. Avatar February 18th, 2009 at 7:37 pm shaferfinancial Says:

Do tell, what “significant COST to others?”
    I am no fan of the Donald, but he has made millions $$ (maybe a billion $) from his buisness enterprises of which the casino is one. Personally, I figure mismanaging a casino is really a hard thing to do because of the house edge, but what do I know, I don’t gamble in casinos. I have observed people that do, and I have yet to see someone brought in and forced to gamble. I do know he had some poor lady’s land imminent domained for a parking lot. Ugly business that was. Having a hit TV show is no crime against humanity no matter what I think about it (watched it once and felt it was not worth my time). Building condo’s for the wealthy; again no crime. Having a series of financial books/seminars, no matter how dubious some of the key presenters are, again not particularly immoral either. Bankruptcy, again no cost to others unless you count his investors or bond holders; but they went in with their eyes open to the risk. Anyway, our societies infatuation with him seems more well placed than say our infatuation with Hilton.

Part of being placed on that mantel is for our societal propensity to then bring that person down just like Michael Phelps, etc. Perhaps that is needed in a society that has such profound ambivalence toward success!

4. Avatar February 18th, 2009 at 8:28 pm Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Setting an example. Reflecting. Representing.

5. Avatar February 20th, 2009 at 3:30 pm Nick Johnson Says:

To Shafer:

COST – There are many costs. Whether or not Mr. Cork refers to the COST’s I’ll detail, I’m not sure.

Trumps entire professional existence seems to me to be a sort of fabrication. It reminds me very much of one of the antagonists of the book The Fountainhead (of which, I know Brian is fond). You see, Peter Keating was a young architect of marginal talent who, upon graduating and entering the professional realm, rocketed into the stratosphere of the architectural world. He was elevated along the way by the media, the critics and his entourage. During the course of his “work”, he would occasionally consult the much more talented, yet underrated, protagonist of the story who would “help” him with certain buildings. As Roark, the protagonist, toiled in obscurity, Peter continued to receive awards, recognition and fame. One of the underlying principles of the book, for those who don’t know, is that you can destroy greatness in mankind by celebrating mediocrity. Lift up the imbecile, and you’ll be simultaneously discrediting the genius.

Now, I can’t be certain that this is the case with Trump. I merely offer it to say that to me it “seems” that way. How many personally and professionally healthy executives toil in obscurity? Why is Trump synonymous with success and wealth? Why aren’t the true champions as well known? I suggest that a similar phenomenon is occurring with Trump that occurred with Peter Keating. If you say “I am amazing” to enough people for long enough, do they begin to believe it and, worse, tell their friends? Has Trump built up a paper mache facade so massive that to the casual observer who sees but a piece of it the hype is real? Or has his throne been created by the media, anxious for a story?

I’ll say that as long as Donald Trump’s name evokes thoughts of gold plated toilets being dusted by man servants a-plenty and everything else glitz, glamor and gold the COST is quite great. Joe Public associates Trump with success; he’ll buy his books; he’ll go see his seminars; and, he’ll watch his shows. “So, that is success,” he may think. Huddled on the couch in gross adoration of the sideshow that is Trump, the public has been duped into decades long deception. Success has been bastardized and marginalized. And, THAT is the COST.

6. Avatar February 20th, 2009 at 3:47 pm Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Great exchange gentlemen. Positions fairly stated.

Mr. Trump might be intentional with his negative impact or his role as an example (pro athletes have a similar challenge). But, might it not be interesting if he wrote the book: “what not to do”?

Brian

7. Avatar February 23rd, 2009 at 6:39 pm shaferfinancial Says:

Hmmm….setting up a comparison between a fictional character and a real live human is unsettling business, no?

I repeat, I am no fan of Trump, but remember his celebrity status is from being involved in Manhatton real estate a naturally high profile role. Has he capitalized, even make it his “raison d’être”? Well, probably yes. Does our current culture love to follow/record/harass celebrities? Well, yes. Is he beyond reproach because of his status? No.

You say Trump is representative of a gilded edge definition of success and you find this troublesome. I say in a capitalistic society this is normative. Even Karl Marx understood this 150 years ago.

If I am to understand your project, it is to redefine success away from what you think Trump represents to something you find more amenable. No fault in this, but remember what the Marxist found out a long time ago. Your version of what the masses should like is not likely to be the same as what they think they should like!

8. Avatar February 26th, 2009 at 2:17 pm Brian Patrick Cork Says:

Thomas Jefferson was a Heterodox and did not know it. God gave him “other worldly” abilities as a gift. He used them for good. The result is a framework (the Constitution) that allows freedom of choice. But, he understood the rules are not for everyone. So, choices have an opportunity to reflect and represent the discernment God gives as (a or another) gift.

Jefferson was real.

Batman is a Heterodox possibly because writers want him to be – but, might not know it. He is also imbued with “other worldly” gifts. He does things the wrong way for the right reasons. This is why he is the “Dark Knight”.

Batman is not real. However, his complicated morale code is.

Donald Trump is larger than life. It can be fairly argued that he also has “other worldly” gifts. But, his morale code does not appear to be complicated. It reflects and represents a singularly selfish agenda. It reflects and represents so many things that parents want to protect our children from – right?

Trump is real. He is quite discerning – I am sure. But, his example inspires only a FEW, and can’t inspire me the way a real American (and global) hero (that would be Jefferson [thus the title of my forthcoming book]), and a fictional character (that would be Batman) that stands for good can.

All three are strands in the weave of our society. They certainly make the fabric vibrant.

But where do you want to stand, reflect and represent?

9. Avatar February 23rd, 2009 at 9:15 pm Nick Johnson Says:

Not unsettling in the slightest if the comparison is accurate.

Also, I don’t seek to tell the masses what to like and what not to like. If I did, I would go on a tirade about Britney Spears, American Idol, et al.

10. Avatar February 26th, 2009 at 2:24 pm Brian Patrick Cork Says:

This reminds me why Joanne and I Home School and prefer a curriculum based on the Founding Fathers, Classics and Logic.

For the moment, the best result is Haley Anne is a formidable Defender and Captain on her soccer team. And, she is “straight and true” (in an old world sense; consider Walker Percy). But, I know she could care less about Britney Spears (while thoroughly enjoying American Idol). It should be noted that she is fascinated by the history and lore of the American Presidents.

11. Avatar March 23rd, 2011 at 8:22 am The Unsinkable brian cork » Blog Archive » on Donald Trump: one pirate to another Says:

[…] like the fellow. to prove it, I’ll point you to another post I’ve focused on him: really looking at donald Trump. quite frankly, I know he does not care about that, and you really don’t need to […]